The Wooden Church


It is located in the central area of Targoviste on Maior Brezişeanu Street, close to Targoviste City Hall and the former National Bank. Its name comes from the fact that it was originally a wooden construction. On the foundation of this older wooden church, the current wall church was built in 1842. The first founders are Mihail Alexandrescu and his son Grigore Alexandrescu, the great poet, whose memorial house is nearby. Along with them, the inscription mentions among the founders Polizache Panait, Dumitru Gh. Bǎjescu, Sima Danciu, Mihai Stătulescu, Ioniță Tudorachescu, Cristea Carabulea and others.
 
The walled church does not have a solid foundation, being built only of brick and lime, alternating with oak beams. The vault inside is woven from plastered twigs (spider web), and the cover is made of tin. The church is in the shape of a nave divided into nave, narthex and porch, with an open tower placed on the nave and a closed one placed on the narthex which also acts as a bell tower. The painting was made in 1865 by Sache, Ilie and Pârvu, painters from Târgovişte. Following the earthquake of November 1940, the "Wood" church became impracticable for service for a short period of time. It is immediately renovated and reinforced with belts and iron bars. Doors and windows have been replaced with new oak ones. From 1997 to 1999 the church was completely renovated, being repainted inside and reinforced and re-plastered on the outside. The church was re-sanctified on May 28, 2000 by His Eminence Metropolitan Dr. Nifon Mihăiță, Archbishop of Târgoviște.
 
The church preserves special art monuments such as the funerary monument with angels, made by Friț Storck, as well as icons made in the middle of the 20th century by the painter Atanase Anghel.

Similar Suggestions

502 de ani de la sfințirea Mitropoliei din Târgoviște
Fashion in Targoviste in the interwar period
On foot on the Old Town
„The Healing Spring” Icon
The Way of Light