The history of the film in Târgoviște
The first film screening in history, with the Lumière Brothers apparatus, took place on December 28th, 1895, in a cafe in Paris. This invention, which would radically change the world, was a huge success.
With the beginning of the twentieth century, this new show was perfected both technically and artistically, competing with theater and music concerts in terms of audience presence.
The cinema was introduced in Târgoviște since 1910 at the initiative of Iorgu Lăzărescu in his brewery in the city center.
In July 1919, the films were screened at the "Central" Cinema on Saturdays and Sundays, and in 1920 the City Hall had two "Elisée" cinemas, which operated in the Lăzărescu Hall and the "Sala de Arme" cinema. The following year, a cinema was set up at the "Café Chantant", located in Stelea Street.
Representing a profitable initiative, solutions were constantly sought to improve the conditions in the performance halls.
In the '80s there were 3 cinemas in Târgoviște: Victoria cinema, Popular cinema (Trianon), located in the Old City Center and Independence cinema.
Following an extensive rehabilitation and endowment project implemented by Târgoviște City Hall, today we are proud of the existence of a modern cinema, located in the city center - Cinematograf Independența - where we can watch movies in good condition, of the highest classification level existing today in Romania and on the biggest projection screen in the country.