The Copper House


The building was built after the devastating earthquake of 1802 when it was decided that the Good Friday Church would become a branch of Dealu Monastery.

In 1803, on the piece of land received by the monks from Dealu Monastery by Dionisie Lupu, an abbot's building was built which included "rooms up and down, a corner and a stable". The building was attached to the enclosure wall on the south side of the Royal Court, near the gate opened by Constantin Brâncoveanu to the Cocoon Houses.
 
The building was also used as an ecumenical school, as evidenced by documents from the time of Vasile Lupu when school furniture provided the so-called "sandbank" on which the alphabet was taught. It was also a bording school with bedroom, a kitchen and cellars, as well as a parish house. During the First World War the building housed the headquarters of the German command.
 
The earthquake of 1944 contributed to the destruction of the building, which, after 1945, remained in ruins for several decades.
 
The shape of the building was perpetuated by the photograph of Carol Popp de Szatmary in 1867, which helped to rebuild the house between 2008 and 2010, which almost completely restores the former building of which only two walls are preserved inside.
 
Since January 2011, the Museum of Copper and Old Romanian Books has been reorganized in the Copper House of the Royal Court.

Let's know our history and respect it!

Similar Suggestions

502 de ani de la sfințirea Mitropoliei din Târgoviște
Fashion in Targoviste in the interwar period
On foot on the Old Town
„The Healing Spring” Icon
The Way of Light