The Royal Court's fortifications
PRINCELY COURT TÂRGOVIŞTE
In the first phase, the ensemble was defended towards the town at the beginning of the 15th century by a large defence entrenchment of 20 m width and 250 m long, afterwards doubled on the inside by a stone wall.
In 1584, along with the new structures which tripled the surface of the complex, Petru Cercel builds an eclosure wall provided on the outside with counterforts of triangular plane.
After 1640, Matei Basarab doubles it externally with another one, punctured with five entrance towers and provided with guard rooms.